Sunday, September 16, 2007

Kung Fu Fridays

I used to semi-regularly attend "Kung Fu Fridays" at the Royal Cinema on College Street in Toronto, where weird and wonderful Kung Fu movies were screened. It sadly ended a couple of years ago.

I'm currently trying to keep the spirit alive here in Iqaluit, in a sense. I've started taking Taekwon-Do classes, and my first one was on Friday. I'm a long way from kicking much ass, since I can barely figure out which direction my limbs are supposed to go, and my flexibility is pretty limited. I started learning how to kick someone on top of their head, which was cool, except that for now my leg only goes high enough to kick the heads of midgets. And, really, that would probably go against the Taekwon-Do oath:
I shall observe the tenets of Taekwon-Do:
Courtesy,
Integrity, Perseverance, Self-control, Indomitable spirit
I shall respect the instructor and seniors

I shall never misuse Taekwon-Do

I shall be a champion of freedom and justice

I shall build a more peaceful world

After class, I came home and watched Magnificent Butcher, a Kung Fu Fridays-worthy film I bought in Chinatown in Toronto before coming up here. It features a fight with caligraphy brushes, a drunken chicken, a villain named Crazy Cat who meows while fighting, and stars Sammo Hung.

Saturday, we had people over. Kate Nova made a video.

No comments: